Friday, November 16, 2007

Beverly Hills auto update

Not as in an automatic update, just an update of the mechanical excitement to be found in Beverly Hills, which I pass through every time I head to campus.
  • The other day I heard and then saw the aftermath of a bright yellow Ferrari crashing into the rear of a silver Porche Carrera. Accrued damages to both certainly worth more than the total of what I paid for Pepe S. The Beverly Hills police arrived within 30 seconds in a giant cop SUV.
  • Most of my Beverly Hills bike ride in today was next to a cream-colored Bentley convertible. We kept pace for many blocks. It looked a lot like this, making me feel a bit shabby in my $2 shirt and $3 pants.
  • I biked by not one but two idling Priuses in which the drivers were smoking. So if you're not putting out one kind of fumes it gives you space to put out another kind?
  • (Further update - en route home I rode for about 7 blocks next to a "Star Homes" tour bus, but it was more like the A-Team van that had had its top sawed off and some extra minivan seats put in. On the side were airbrushed caricatures of Marilyn Monroe (who looked nauseated) and a bearded guy that it took 5 blocks to identify as Pirates-of-the-Carribean era Johnny Depp. As we rode down the street the driver announced something in muffled tones and the French guy just to my left whipped out his video camera and pointed it right at me, or rather, over me at the house behind me. Who lives there? Will the house be obscured by my giant head? I hope they have many happy viewings of their Beverly Hills videotape back in France.)
Other entertaining sightings in the last few days include a woman on my block with hair past her rear, almost the length of her quite short ruffled miniskirt, who turned around to reveal that she was like 60, and two different men in thong bathing suits on Venice Beach (not that anyone should really be wearing those, at least in North America, but one of these guys really shouldn't have been wearing one). It's all about self-presentation in this town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home