Saturday, September 20, 2008

Nothing here is normal

Or rather, the chances of a seemingly normal thing turning out to be not entirely normal are much higher. That's more like it.

Case in point. Turns out that not only did I have a mystery virus that felled me for a week, but then when I pushed myself a bit too hard after my immobilization, opportunistic strep jumped right in and laid me low again. So this afternoon I dragged my sorry ass over to the library to get some light reading and light watching -- while I understand why the West Hollywood library would have 5 copies of Shortbus (for real), I do wish they'd had at least one copy of Strictly Ballroom, which is really what I'm in the mood for (and also ostensibly popular with the gays). Anyway, after the library I went to get some pho nearby, figuring that the effort of staying upright would be repaid by the healing nature of chicken broth and noodles. Unfortunately, the pho was pretty mediocre, which I guess I would expect given its location adjacent to one of the fanciest malls in town (which is saying something), and also it was hard to relax given that everyone around looked like an actor/model wannabe, with smooth, evenly tanned skin, doe eyes, and rippling muscles (both sexes here). Except for the big, not so young guy just to my right, who was loudly and laboriously detailing his recent home renovations (copper pipe replacement, reroofing, the felling for some reason of tall linden trees, etc. etc.), and whose voice was both grating and familiar. Because, I realized, he's this guy. And he has not aged well. All this reminded me that Ferris Bueller also would have been an excellent movie to take out of the library. But for the fact that they didn't have it.

And there you have an "I'm sick, let me go to my local library and then get the nearest soup" excursion when it's in West Hollywood. Shortbus and foiled principals from 80s teen movies. It's all very silly sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home