Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Invitations

I arrived home from my Labor Day travels (which should end my jet-setting for the time being, unless you Chicago people have a good invitation heading my way) to find a letter addressed to Mrs. [Pangea] (seriously, people, in 2008 to an unknown woman?) inviting me to join this charming establishment (please do check out the Board of Governors on the right-hand side of the screen).

Said club is apparently a "haven and refuge" for industry executives and personalities, which is SO what I'm looking for these days. Plus I'll have the chance to develop quick camaraderie and maybe even life-long friendships, facilitated, in part, by their computerized tennis-pairing system. And they'll take care of all my Pilates needs.

What made me happiest, of course, is learning this: "[Fancy Shmancy Country Club] is not for everyone one nor every family. If it were, it would not be a privilege to belong. Membership to our fine club is exclusive, but not exclusionary, and is by invitation..." (Apparently "it is also much more affordable than you might think.") Not only do I wonder how in the hell they got my name and ostensible marital status, but this all begs the question, of course, put forth by one of my vaudevillian and metaphysical ancestors: do I want to join such a club that would have me as a member?

That being said, I'm seriously considering going on a tour sometime soon, before classes start...

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt Goldrick said...

If you join, can I be a guest, and act like a lout? I'm imagining being the I-talian guy from an 80s B movie.

I don't know if anything exciting will be happening in the very near future in Chicago. Sorry. We try, but apparently not hard enough.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Pangea said...

I'm trying to picture you with a big gold chain and a wife beater and a beer in each hand, and I'm just not seeing it. We could give it a shot, though!

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home