Monday, January 28, 2008

Tech savvy

A few weeks ago I got a promotional card in the mail inviting me to check out a fancy shmancy gym in the 90210 district for free for a week. How could I say no? So on Saturday I went on over and started my weeklong descent into gym luxury. A dripping ceiling fountain greets you at the front door, along with very attractive card-checking personnel (weirdly, always light-skinned black women, at least so far). The locker rooms have individual digital locks on every locker with combinations that you choose yourself, so you can always remember your code (people, if you learn my ATM code and also figure out which locker is mine, a true bonanza awaits you), and lovely showers that have a variety of nice lotiony products and also free disposable razors and a steam room with mentholated vapor (tonight, it was me and two lady Russkies). There is a spa on site, and also a restaurant with $18 entrees (for takeout as well, for the time-challenged), but weirdly no juice bar for the hanging out purposes -- how do people hit on each other at this place? I will have to see.

Anyway, there is of course also an onsite gym clothes boutique, how could there not be? And on my way out the other day I idly browsed through the sale rock (how could I not?). And considered buying a fancy tank top with built-in shelfy sports bra (but a bit better looking than most) except that it was really too bright a pink. Anyway, while I was still considering said tank top, I was poking around to see if it was worth trying on and saw a small pocket in the bra mesh on the left side, so a small mesh pocket within the other mesh on the top of your left boob. And thought, "oh, a place for your key, that's clever," but when skimming the label learned that this pocket was precisely sized to house your iPod nano. Yes, it was an iPod-nano-friendly ladies bright fuchsia
sport tank top. I suppose we're just one generation away from tank tops that play the music themselves with their fibrous wonder, but really, where are we going next?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home