Monday, January 07, 2008

Sick!

Just when I thought I had successfully avoided that stupid cold that's been going around for the last few weeks, it brought me down Friday afternoon. Like a tree that fell in a forest, except into my (down comforter, bamboo sheet, down mattress cover) bed. But soundless! (Seriously, it happens. Rarely. But it does.)

I actually mostly enjoyed staying in bed from Friday night to Sunday night, getting up only to make tea or pee it out again like 15 minutes later, or to work on my lecture for today. But then today in class my lapel mike didn't work, so I couldn't impersonate an inspirational speaker in front of my 200+ person lecture (I suppose it's illegal for me to wheedle money out of them anyway) and then I was stuck behind the podium with the big mike, which for some reason made me feel like my old rabbi (minus the beard), plus didn't allow students to see the flashy lining of my long black silk coat. Or my beautiful celebration-of-not-getting-killed-on-the-highway new shoes. Oh well. They still enjoyed the You Tube presentation of Valley Girl, and I finally get the places Zappa was talking about. I just hope my croaking nightmare voice is back to normal by Wednesday's class so I don't sound like a pimply teenaged boy at the fast food window. Such a shonda for someone talking about communication.

Pictures of LA-area hiking and exploration still to come. At some point. Later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lance Sleuthe said...

200+ person lecture? Wow. Aside from your brilliant teaching, what are the demographics and/or graduation requirements that are bringing so many students into this class?

10:30 AM  
Blogger Pangea said...

It fulfills a general ed requirement, and sounds like it'll be easy (not a Rocks for Jocks title, but sounds like it could be). I told them on the first day that I was old school and would be expecting a lot from them, which should have precipitated a lot of drops but somehow didn't. I'm surprised by how few are napping since it's at 2 pm, prime siesta time.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home