Monday, October 23, 2006

Time flies

When you're flying out of the country. Parked my car at Dulles under a green tree last week; today when I got back in from Amsterdam it was half red. What is it about saying the words, "Oh, I'll be out of the country for a week," that's so much cooler than describing domestic travel? Even though my trip was mostly just for a workshop related to the language family that I work in, people kept on describing it as sounding glamorous. I think it's maybe the Europe thing? Although I did give my first international invited talk while I was there, and that made me feel kinda fancy.

I'm trying to stay awake until 8 o'clock. Grading homework is probably a more productive way to do this than blogging, so I'll just have to post more about my glamour-trip (!) later. But for now, here's a picture of me dying of thirst on a south Netherlands sand dune...

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt Goldrick said...

The "grasping towards unreachable distant object" gesture has become the new Pangeic prototype. (Replacing the long-lost "hand in palm" gesture.)

8:57 PM  
Blogger Pangea said...

Really? Seems to me I'm dying of thirst a lot less than I'm emphatically restating a full clause. When else have I put this "prototype" move into action?

12:34 AM  
Blogger Matt Goldrick said...

Not dying of thirst but yearning for the unattainable (or merely inconvenient). I can't think of specific examples at the moment...

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home