Monday, January 16, 2006

Instant Karma

When Whitey D asked in mid-December if I could pick her up at the airport when she returned from January's big ling conference out in the southwest, I said, "Sure!" I mean, these days I actually periodically sleep past 8 am on weekends, and have been known to stay out until 1, even 2 in the am (!!!!), so an 11 pm pickup was no biggie. And the PM gets good mileage, and BWI just isn't that far away (take note, potential visitors).

Now, I thought that good behavior was only immediately rewarded in fairy tales, like you meet a cursing gnome whose beard is stuck in the crack of a log and you help him out and when released he thanks you using mysterious and arcane phrases and then as of the next day pearls and rubies start falling from your lips when you talk (although I think this kind of thing gets you in trouble with your stepmother). But turns out Whitey D, while no fairy-tale gnome, also believes in immediate rewards for (semi-)altruistic behavior, and now I have these:

How delightful! And how in keeping with this month's cactus theme! Unfortunately, ever since the Tequila Incident of Summer 1992, I haven't touched the stuff. And it seems like it would be inappropriate to drink anything else out of these shotglass lovelies. So they'll just be perched decoratively on the shelf below my saguaro cactus photo, but in the meantime, I wanted to share their demi-kitsch loveliness. Thanks, Whitey!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of something our fellow grad student JA (nee JR) once said about the difference between East Coasters and West Coasters. The East Coaster, when offered tequila, says, "Oh, I got soo sick the last time I drank that... No thanks". The West Coaster says, "Oh, I got soo sick the last time I drank that... Hand it over."
-- erma p

9:33 AM  
Blogger Pangea said...

You know she tells me this anecdote every time I bring up the Tequila Incident of 1992 (which isn't all that often, actually). Meanwhile, EP, thought of you today as I walked by the Sanrio store in the Arundel Mills mall, not far from where you grew up. Didn't go in though...

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home