Friday, December 09, 2005

The snows of yesteryear

So, when I realized I'd be moving from Chicago to Spookytown, I thought, "well, at least I won't have to deal with those terrible winters anymore."

And yet, this is the scene that I have woken up to find this morning. Here, the view from my living room out to the Pimpmobile, snowed in at the curb (and me without a shovel),

and here, the view from my kitchen out to the backyard.
This is our second snow of the season, and it's just the second week of December. I am highly displeased. Oh well, I'd better head to the closet and dig out my Russian winter gear...

UPDATE: So I was kind of cranky when I posted this at 8:30 this morning, but then, I have to say, cheered up once I got outside. The sky is blue, the air is kind of balmy (a nice 35 degrees, where it feels much warmer), everything was already melting and the streets were clear. So I started to feel bad for complaining. But I arrived at work to find almost nobody here, and just now (9:45 am) learned that according to some website that I didn't even know to check, the university is closed until noon. It's so absurd! For like three inches of slushy snow! So I'm kind of bummed, because I could be home in pj's, doing my work surrounded by the kitties. But instead I'm one of the hardy few here, all from northern climes. My goodness, the denizens of Spookytown are totally pathetic when it comes to snow, even more pathetic than Miss Complainy here...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Washington is famous for being unable to deal with the snow. Actually in both Washingtons where I have lived, people get paralyzed by the snow (at least in Seattle, I prolly shouldn't speak for the whole state). At least here in my current Washington, it makes sense because it's a relatively rare occurrence. But in the Washington of my youth, the common explanation ("It's because everyone is from out of town") make no sense. Are there really more new residents and temporary folk from warm-weather climates than in any other metro area?

I should say that I did enjoy all the snow days off from school, though.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Pangea said...

Washington? Or LAUREL????? You cushy suburbanites just couldn't handle the pressure, that's *my* explanation. I'm sure the hard-core city folk just kept right on going...

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home