Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Art Appreciation

The Armenian Queen and I were out on Saturday night celebrating her wedding anniversary (her husband is still in San Diego selling the house -- in his absence, I did what I could to mimic a 6-foot-something German computer scientist, although I don't think it was all that successful). After a really nice meal at this Ferran Adria-inspired fancy-shmancy place downtown (my prix-fixe meal included both "lime air" and "banana foam"), we walked up to Dupont Circle in the hopes of seeing live Latin music. En route we passed rather a lot of public art, most of it neo-classical and memorial in nature. And then we walked by this thing.
As my friend Bacon Boy might say, "WTF?" Now, the Armenian Queen can see the Washington Monument from the balcony of her bourgeois palace, and since the evening was all about her, I graciously went along with her suggestion that this was a representation of said monument penetrating her helpless eyeball. And perhaps it is. I'm still looking for alternate interpretations, though.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm the 6-foot-something husband ;-)
The real interpretation of the artwork should obviously be:
It's the collective eye of the world looking down into nuclear armageddon.
So there.
Jan.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Pangea said...

Hi! Can't wait until you make it over to this coast, finally, and we can get the AQ to stop whining long enough to discuss interpretations of modern sculpture.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home