Sunday, May 04, 2008

Reader feedback (really, reader help with feeding)

So as you can tell from reading my last few entries, I go to the farmer's market a lot. Almost every week. But not today. In part because I was still feeling a bit wiped out from yesterday's 30+ mile bike ride to Venice Beach for a tantric philosophy workshop (not that kind of tantric workshop -- seriously, it's like obscure medieval Indian writings on the self and the universe boiled down and explained by a Sanskrit- and Tamil-reading scholar). I'm trying to be virtuous these days, since Earth Week, I guess, and bike as often as possible. Haven't driven my car since last Tuesday night! Today all my errands and socializing were by car and foot, and I'm thinking barring unforeseen circumstances I can make it a whole week car free.

Anyway, the other reason I didn't go to the market today is because the fridge is still full of last week's veggies. I have cooked or pickled (and crossed out on the fridge-front reminder sheet) the asparagus and spinach and scallions and radishes and much but not all of the daikon and the potatoes and the tomatoes and the zucchini. But there's some stuff I'm just not finding great recipes for. Tomorrow night, should I find the energy, I'll make a well-reviewed-on-epicurious chard and leek tart. But I'm looking for help with my om choi and bok choy and kale and the rest of that daikon. And, as I told PJ just now on the phone (hi Peej!), I'm always looking for good tofu recipes. Since I never make it, and I'd like to. And I'm also looking to expand my quinoa repertoire, which is, at the moment, really pretty limited.

So beloved readers, if you have a veggie-based or tofu-based suggestion, that you yourselves make with whatever frequency and like, please send it along? I'm finding my cookbook poring over somewhat tiresome. And will return now to watching Arrested Development online instead. (Was supposed to be watching my friend's friend's movie right now at the Asian Film Festival up the street but after waiting 45 minutes still didn't get in. Oh well. At least it's only 10 minutes away, so the walk back home wasn't so bad.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Ju said...

Lance makes a good dish with both tofu and bok choy. But that's about all I can say about it, and he's about to go into finals, so I don't know how much he can say about it.

Unhelpfully yours,
erm.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Pangea said...

Well, Erm, that's almost helpful. Not quite. But not all the way to unhelpful either. Last night I did something nice with bok choy as suggested by Gourmet, involving braising with some broth and a little butter and reducing the sauce and adding a splash of sesame oil. That was nice. Esp. with some sauteed shrimp added. But still stumped by the tofu.

I would ask how your trip was, but comments to this blog post perhaps not the best forum.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home